Rookie

 8/4- Carver Cove, Vinalhaven ME

   We had to sit through some pretty sloppy weather but we ripped ourselves away from Rockland. The storm yesterday wasn’t too bad but it did finally rain a bit as places around here are getting desperate for water. It was foggy and rainy and windy which made it a day we just hung out on the boat. 

    Today though dawned like a freshly cleaned window. The sun bright and the sky a bluebird kind of blue. I could see the islands for the first time in 3 days. So what should we do— go sailing of course. The wind was west south west which put it almost behind us. We sailed a big looping course as the wind freshened as changed direction as we crossed the bay. Once we got near the thoroughfare I doused the jib as it was doing nothing with the wind directly behind us. We sailed all the way through and plopped our anchor in the mud of Carver Cove. 

    Here’s where our rookie mistake happened. As we were backing down the anchor the “ floating “ line on the dinghy decided not to float anymore and took a couple of spins around our prop. Now we had a dinghy pressed up against the boat with lines so tight I couldn’t move them. This was a job for — wetsuit man! After our prop adventure of several years ago I had bought a wetsuit and had never even used it. Now was a good time to try so I donned the wetsuit and jumped into the water. I did have to cut some lines but it came off the shaft easy after that. The funny thing about a wetsuit is the buoyancy. I had to dive under the boat so I wouldn’t just pop right back up. Of course I had some pretty blue hair afterwards. 

    Still it was a rookie move to not tend to the dinghy so hopefully we learned our lesson. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Floating

Finish

Weather